Bullying is an aggressive style of interaction that also occurs among adults, and the results of this type of behavior are similar in children and adults. In a world driven by competition and greed we should focus on anti bullying behaviors.
We talk about psychic trauma that appears beyond the state of discomfort and irritability, that imprint of abusive relational experience that brings the child into a situation of physical and psycho-emotional health deterioration, sometimes culminating in school abandonment, attempted suicide or homicide. The effects of harassment are relatively similar in children and adults because we are human beings regardless of age and it is normal for a reaction to occur after psychological wounds.
A child who will perform aggression in childhood, will feel the perverted taste of power and control over another child he feels weaker and this behavior will continue in his adult life. He will commit abuses at the workplace. If he gets in a management position he will be like the surgeon who has the scalpel in his hand but will not use it to promote health and life but to act his own interest by calculating the corpses.
That’s why we need to focus our attention on combating psychological harassment and physical abuse from the first contexts in which they arise, from the age of childhood.
Bullying situations are most often associated with the phenomenon of school violence, thus, as mentioned above, it occurs in adult life, too.
We understand by bullying hostile attitude, emotional and/or physical violence. How can we manifest an anti bullying attitude?
- Try to avoid such people. This does not mean that you should not go to work, but simply, take it on another route;
- Behave in a right and courageous posture when you are in an unpleasant situation;
- Feel good with yourself! No one is perfect, but we all know we can work on it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a rest program and eat healthier food.
- Make friends. The feeling of belonging to a group helps you to cope with the conflicts and problems you might encounter with those outside the group.
- If someone harmful tries to connect to you, try not to answer and be indifferent.
- Talk to someone when you have problems. Do not hesitate to ask for help if the situation becomes dangerous.
The best anti bullying strategy a company can have against workplace aggression is a clearly formulated policy that forbids any kind of aggressive behavior.
Here are some components that every anti bullying policy should have:
- A clear definition of what is considered aggression – along with a list of some of the actual behaviors that correspond to the definition.
- A way for employees to report aggression, including guidelines on what to do when the aggressor is the manager.
- A detailed explanation of the complaints and investigation process that will take place.
- A non-repressive clause, a clause to help employees feel safe about reporting on problem behavior and a list of the consequences of breaking anti bullying rules.
In an organizational environment, the employee must be protected inside and outside the company. If we refer to small firms, with a few employees, and the person who behaves abusively is the director himself, then things are a little complicated. This situation, unfortunately, is very common. The abuser, the harasser (in the person of the director) will never accept that he has a problem, and then it is quite difficult to resolve the conflict. The wisest thing is for the “victim” to look for another job.
Promoting anti bullying behavior at work is an important element in improving living conditions at work. Anti-harassment policies can be formulated in order for general improvement of the psycho-social climate in the workplace to take place, the creation of an organizational culture with rules and values against harassment, conflict management training are some ways to deal with this problem.
To treat the other with respect is ultimately an issue of education and civilization.